Samstag, 13. Oktober 2012

INSPIRATION PART 2 - THE PAINTER EDWARD B. GORDON




After my last post on “what” inspires me, here comes to “who” provides inspiration. I’d like you to meet a very special gentleman – the painter Edward B. Gordon.
Many of you are likely to know him already, but for those of you who don’t, I’d be really happy to introduce him to you.

I came across Edward’s work 3 years ago, when our friend Laurence (a talented photographer and webdesigner herself) brought along an article on him. At that point,  I was struggling with how to make my ever growing painting passion fit into a life already filled with a demanding day job, an equally demanding family and all the rest of what makes up this thing called life. In general, I would either postpone my plans for lack of time or wind up frustrated because I didn’t manage to finish a larger piece and turn out a “masterpiece” in one single Saturday afternoon.

And there came Mr. Gordon and the fantastic tiny artworks (his daily paintings measure 15cm x 15cm or 5.9 inches x 5.9 inches) he has been painting every single day since about 6 years. I instantly loved his style and his story. In the rather hermetic art world here in Germany, Edward’s auctioning of his paintings every day on his blog came quite close to a small revolution. Funnily enough, it seemed to be the business journalists who first became aware of his art because of this distribution practice and Edward’s success with it.

But apparently the art world has by now catched up with his work. This year’s exhibition “Vier Jahre später” at Galerie Liebkranz in Berlin, Edward’s first book published by “Kein und Aber Verlag” and a limited edition at Lumas all show that Edward B. Gordon will be here to stay. And as far as I am concerned, that fills me with joy.


Edward B. Gordon "Bilder einer Stadt" 
Kein & Aber
ISBN-10: 30369565 ISBN-13: 978-3036956510


The Jacket
(One of his larger paintings)
Copyright Edward B. Gordon

"The french wine glass"
Copyright Edward B. Gordon

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen